While pondering about the next topic to be published on this website, it suddenly struck me that I had not posted any book reviews yet. Books have always been my closest friends, and very faithful ones. When my soul longs for solitude, I cut off from this world, and immerse myself in the language of words. Being the maiden book review for this website, it had to be a special one! I glanced through my mini library at home, and soon my eyes were fixated on Discover Your Destiny with the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari by Robin Sharma.
For those who don’t know Robin Sharma, he is an internationally acclaimed leadership guru. He is the CEO of Sharma Leadership International, which helps develop employees in organizations via training and coaching. He’s authored more than 10 books, most of them being bestsellers in more than 50 countries. Robin is also a highly sought-after speaker, leadership coach and consultant.
Discover your Destiny, is a continuation to Robin’s previous work – The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari, and is written as a rich and rewarding fable. The main protagonist, Dan Sanderson, is projected as a highly ambitious executive who appears to have it all on the outside but lacks happiness, meaning and inner peace. An encounter with Julian Mantle, the monk sets Dan upon an interesting journey to find his authentic self and claim the life of his dreams.
The book wonderfully portrays life as a treasure, and puts the reader to think. It teaches us to embrace things as they happen with an open heart, which in turn enables us to grow wiser and stronger. The reader is enlightened on how to lead a disciplined and a happier life, and is made aware of how one should create happiness and success.
The book unfolds as an enlightening fable:
You are sitting in the middle of a magnificent, lush, green garden. This garden is filled with the most spectacular flowers you have ever seen. The environment is supremely tranquil and silent. Savor the sensual delights of this garden and feel as if you have all the time in the world to enjoy this natural oasis. As you look around you see that in the center of this magical garden stands a towering, red lighthouse, six stories high. Suddenly, the silence of the garden is disturbed by a loud creaking as the door at the base of the lighthouse opens. Out stumbles a nine-foot-tall, nine-hundred-pound Japanese sumo wrestler who casually wanders into the center of the garden. The Japanese sumo wrestler is naked! Well, actually he is not totally naked. He has a pink wire cable covering his private parts.
As this sumo wrestler starts to move around the garden, he finds a shiny gold stopwatch which someone had left behind many years earlier. He slips it on, and falls to the ground with an enormous thud. The sumo wrestler is rendered unconscious and lies there, silent and still. Just when you think he has taken his last breath, the wrestler awakens, perhaps stirred by the fragrance of some fresh yellow roses blooming nearby. Energized, the wrestler jumps swiftly to his feet and intuitively looks to his left. He is startled at what he sees. Through the bushes at the very edge of the garden he observes a long winding path covered by millions of sparkling diamonds. Something seems to instruct the wrestler to take the path, and to his credit, he does. This path leads him down the road of everlasting joy and eternal bliss.
Through this book, Robin very beautifully explains the seven stages of Self-Awakening. We discover:
- How to relinquish control and trust in your limitless potential
- How to avoid the crime of self-betrayal and live greatly
- How adopting the ‘beginner’s mind” can lead to higher levels of self-mastery
- How to transform fear into fortune
- How to discover your calling and life’s purpose
- How to turn events that test you into events that reward you
- How to awaken your fullest potential
However, all of the above is just not possible without the five daily devotions enumerated in the book. They are:
- Rise each and every morning at 5 am. Those who get up early are those who get the best from life.
- Set aside the first sixty minutes of your day as your “holy hour”. This is your sacred time to do the inner work (prayer, meditation, journaling, reading from the wisdom literature, reflecting on the state of your life) that will help you live your highest life.
- Display a standard of care, compassion and character well beyond what anyone could ever imagine from you. In doing so you will be doing your part to aid in the building of a new world.
- Display a standard of excellence at work, far higher than anyone would ever expect from you. Abundance and fulfillment will flow back to you.
- Devote yourself to being the most loving person you know and thinking, feeling and acting as though you are one of the greatest people currently on the planet. Your life will never be the same and you will bless many lives.
Here are a few pearls of wisdom as mentioned in the book:
Within your heart all answers lie, walk towards your fear and then you’ll learn to fly.
Life is a treasure and you are so much more than you know.
The mind is an excellent servant but a tyrannical master.
When you shift from a compulsion to survive, into a heartfelt commitment to serve, your life cannot help but explode into success.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.
Sometimes in life we feel left out, insecure, or completely lost. We just don’t know how to proceed further. This well written masterpiece gives us a lot of answers and the way forward. While reading it, I’ve laughed and cried. This is definitely one of the most powerful and amazing books. Life-changing is an understatement! Unputdownable. Highly recommended. Go read this one!